Monday, October 3, 2011

Burmese Feast

A couple years ago a guy at my church recommended that I try his favorite restaurant when I visited San Francisco - Burma Superstar.  Besides having the coolest name ever, this restaurant boasts some of the finest food I have ever had in my entire life.  If you are ever in SF, you gotta check it out!!!!

There's usually a line because it's SOOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!


The food is a sort of fusion of Asian flavors - Thai, Chinese, Indian - to create somewhat familiar yet striking flavor combinations unique to Burma.  I've enjoyed some of their curry and noodle dishes as well as their salads, so I attempted their Rainbow Salad (although, I  made mine veggie - no shrimp...they look like bugs, and no fish sauce  - I used half and half soy sauce and worcestire...which technically has fish in it though, so I should have just got the fish sauce!!!)

Burmese Rainbow Salad inspired by Burma Superstar

The Rainbow Salad packed a lot of flavor...a bit too much onion actually - I'll adjust that amount next time. I had never bought a papaya before and I got one that was a bit too ripe - be sure to use firm green papayas if you can find them! This recipe gave me the opportunity to try out a Julienne Peeler, which I had never used before.

Set of peelers available from Williams Sonoma for about $15

I also altered a Burmese Chicken Curry recipe to create this creamy and delicious dish:


It looks a bit funky here, partially because it's in a bowl that has a kitty design, and also because I put it together a bit sloppily (I'll invest in some white dishes and work on my presentation in the future!) but it was a really savory mix of coconut milk, tumeric, ginger, paprika, soy sauce, tofu, lots of onions, cilantro, and I added some mushrooms - however I think they overpowered the delicate nature of some of the flavors and I think I'll use carrots instead next time to add some additional sweetness.  I tore the tofu (that's why it kind of looks like scrambled eggs in the picture) which allowed it to soak up more of the sauce...worked well! Overall, quite delicious! I'm looking forward to the leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment